08 gennaio 2006

Honey and Teddi Find a New Home




















Bill & I adopted Honey & Teddi on 8 October 2005 in Italy. It was a very happy day for us, & also for the 2 puppies. Our beloved dog, Rocky, a poodle-Skye terrier mix, had died in New Mexico on 17 February 05. We were extremely devastated & lonely without him. But, we felt that it was better to wait awhile to get another dog. We knew that we would be moving back to Italy soon, from NM. We had planned to retire from the military to Italy. We thought it would be best not to take a dog on the plane, on an overseas flight. We had done this a few times before, with Darlin, my poodle, & later with Rocky.
On 7 Sept we arrived in Aviano, Italy, very happy to be back home. We were & still are, very busy getting settled into our house. Even so, I was very much wanting to find a dog to love. So, every Friday, I read our base paper, the Vigileer, looking for a dog that needed a great home. Usually, the paper is only useful for lining my garbage. The ads in the paper have become microscopic, the print too small to easily read. So, each week I read the ads, not finding anything promising. Then, on 7 Oct I saw an ad that looked interesting. An American military family wanted to give away 2 small female dogs. The husband is a cat lover, not fond of dogs. Bill & I know many people, some in my family, like this. So, I called the phone number in the ad at about 7 PM, expecting that no one would answer. Or, I expected that maybe the dogs had already been given away. I usually, expect the worst.
I called & talked to Sara. She said that one dog was a mini Pinscher mix & was very small. The other dog was a long hair mix. So, I asked to see the dogs the next morning between 11 & 12 noon. Of course, I knew then that I would be their new mommy! They sounded really cute & probably irresistable.
So, Bill & I showed up at the people's house in Roveredo. As soon as we went into the front gate, we saw the cute puppies. Teddi, the terrier mix, was dressed in a T-shirt, with pink & white stripes, with a white collar. Sally, her name at the time, was a mini Pinscher mix. She was adorable, dressed in a sweater. Her sweater was red, white, & black stripes, with a Mickey Mouse patch. The family, Sara & Michael, had just given them a bath. The couple, both active duty Air Force, have 2 young girls.
We put the 2 puppies in our rental car, with all of their dog stuff. They came with 2 heavy, small silver bowls, a giant plastic tub of puppy chow, some leashes, a Y leash, some bones, & wee wee pads. They were very excited on the way home, from Roveredo to Giais. Honey was in my lap, not very safe, I know. Teddi was in the back of the car, looking around.
Our neighbors, Nerina & Giorgio, seemed surprised that we now had 2 puppies, not just one. But, they came together. Honey & Teddi are very attached to each other. We call them sisters, even though they are not. They are really "Buon amice", best friends.

2 commenti:

Anonimo ha detto...

Hey Marilyn,
I love Honey and Teddy's story. They are so cute. You are all fortunate to found one another.
Love, Kelley

Anonimo ha detto...

Congratulations on your two new pups. They are absolutely beautiful. I hopped over via Gia-Gina-In-Italy's website linking through from a fellow ex-pat friend of hers. Just wanted to say hello and send best wishes your way. :)